Hyppää sisältöön

The Burial Chapel

On the 9th of November, 1774, the Cathedral Chapter granted a burial permit to Baroness Maria Reuterholm (born Gyllenstjerna). The parish granted her the right to build a burial choir. The Reuterholm burial choir was constructed of granite next to the church's eastern wall, near the old sacristy. The burial choir had an entrance from the church, north of the altar.

Inside the burial choir, there was a gilded monument in the form of an urn. The walls were adorned with 13 oval paintings depicting symbolic figures and four rectangular paintings with verses.

In the oval paintings were depicted:

  • a star

  • a setting sun

  • fire

  • an eagle flying towards the sun

  • a comet

  • a lighthouse

  • a mountain and a lightning bolt

  • the initials M S above which a seraph holds a crown

  • a topsail

  • Depicted on shields:

  • a galloping horse

  • a star

  • a flourishing pine tree

  • a comet

In a rectangle:

In the first painting, the verse reads: "When, after twenty years of absence, a monument was erected on August 29, 1793, over the grave in Finland of a revered Father's memory, and after ten years over a cherished Mother's dust, a grieving son, His Excellency, the President of the Royal Chamber Audit and the Lord Chamberlain to Her Royal Majesty, the Widow Queen, etc., Baron Gustaf Adolf Reuterholm, in memory of his beloved parents, had it made. Stanzas were sung on the occasion, sung by the children of the peasants living on the estate, whose parents, so often through the benevolence of the late His Excellency and his worthy spouse, found themselves saved from famine and misery. They now adorned the grave with fresh flowers."

In the second painting, the Reuterholm coat of arms and 5 verses were seen.

In the third painting, the Gyllenstjerna coat of arms and 5 verses were displayed.

In the fourth painting, there were 5 verses.

The burial choir was closed with wrought iron gates bearing the baronial initials, CH. R. H for Christian Reuterholm and M. G. S. for Maria Gyllenstierna, along with an additional iron gate, which still remains in place. The gate with the initials was previously located at the northern entrance in the church wall. Currently, they function as gates to the sacristy. Inside the church above the entrance to the burial chapel on the church wall is a stone plaque with the text:


Vivit Post Funera Virtus

This grave was erected


Councillor of the Realm, the Most Noble Baroness

Lady Maria Gyllenstjärna

As a resting place for her dearly beloved

But now deeply missed before God, the blessed lord and spouse

His Excellency

His Majesty's and the Kingdom of Sweden's most trusted man and council

President in the Royal Directorate overseeing all hospitals and orphanages in the realm

The Most Noble Baron

Lord Christian Reuterholm

Whose earthly remains were moved here

on August 19, 1773

and shall

This grave, as an eternal family grave,

for the

Baronial lineage of Reuterholm af Ekeby

Be perpetually maintained

After many changes in time and fortune,

strangers have finally found a blessed rest here.



Everything removable was moved from the choir to Sweden in 1815 after Suitia Manor and the entire Finland fell under Russian rule. The Reuterholms no longer wished to have any connection with the occupied Finland.

After the fire in 1823, the church's sacristy and church porch were torn down. At the same time, the sacristy was moved to the empty burial chapel of the Reuterholms.

On the other side of the door of the burial chamber, there is a text from the Bible:

This says the LORD: "Open the grave and announce to you my joy from there and let it come to you.

Iron door to the grave chamber.
Iron door to the grave chamber.
The door from the other side with Bible verse.
The door from the other side with Bible verse.