The parish of Sjundeå
Welcome! We are the Swedish speaking Evangelical Lutheran congregation of Sjundeå.
Sjundeå/Siuntio is a bilingual municipality with residents speaking Finnish and Swedish as their first language. Hence there are two Evangelical Lutheran congregations in Sjundeå, the Swedish speaking congregation and the Finnish speaking congregation. We, the Swedish sepaking congregation, have about 1400 members.
Together these parishes form the Parish Union of Siuntio which is a legal organ.
The Swedish speaking congregation of Sjundeå is part of the Borgå diocese and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland.
The current vicar of the Swedish speaking congregation is Tom Bergman.
It's not certain exactly when the parish of Sjundeå was founded but it is believed that it happened somehwere around 1460s when St. Peter's church was built. The parish was Roman Catholic until the reformation of the church was carried out in the Kingdom of Sweden, which Finland was a part of at the time. Nowadays we are an Evangelical Lutheran parish.
In 1998 a decision was made to devide the parish of Sjundeå into two independent congregations based on the two official languages in the municipality. Finally in 2000 the Swedish speaking and the Finnish speaking congregations were founded. Before this division there was only one congregation in the parish of Sjundeå.
The St. Peter's Church in Sjundeå is one of the few medieval churches in Finland and the Uusimaa-region. You can read more about the church here.